Author: Rachel Grove Rohrbaugh, Membership Development Chair
The following are just a few tips for making the most of your MARAC Membership. We’ll explore more ideas for getting involved and take your questions during the New Member Orientation in Erie on Friday morning. See you at 8:30 in the East Ballroom!
Can’t make it to Erie? Please comment here with any additional questions or contact the Membership Development Committee. We’d love to incorporate your suggestions into future guides for new members.
MARAC is largely run by members like you. Explore Committees on the MARAC website to find out more about MARAC’s organizational structure, and volunteer or run for one of the elected positions when those opportunities arise! If you’re interested in pitching in, make sure to mark down committee preferences on your membership renewal application.
- To volunteer for Program Committee (PC) or Local Arrangements (LAC) watch out for calls for volunteers or contact the chairs of these committees. You can find their contact information on the Upcoming Meetings page on the MARAC website.
- If you have a session idea you think might work for an upcoming meeting, be sure to share it with PC. MARAC doesn’t have a formal proposal process like SAA, but you will see occasional calls for session proposals. This just means that PC is looking for great ideas like yours!
- Follow the #marac hashtag on Twitter to see your colleagues’ updates from the sessions. This is a great way to keep up with conference happenings when you can’t attend them in person.
- Want MARAC to come to your town? Contact the Meetings Coordinating Committee for more information.
- MARAC offers workshops throughout the year, both in conjunction with the biannual meetings and at locations throughout the MARAC region. Check out workshop descriptions in the biannual meeting programs and find additional workshops on the Workshops tab of the website. Upcoming workshops are also often listed on the front page of the MARAC website.
- Recent and upcoming workshop topics include Project Management for Archival Processing, Basics of Digitization, Introduction to Electronic Records, and Managing Change in Your Archives. SAA workshops are also occasionally held in conjunction with MARAC meetings.
- Have a workshop idea? Contact the Education Committee. You can also bring ideas for a specific meeting to Meetings Coordinating or the Program Committee.
Getting to Know People and State Caucuses
The MARAC region is home to a lot of great people and fascinating repositories, and there are a variety of opportunities to introduce yourself and chat with people who share your interests. One of the easiest ways is attending state caucus meetings. Most caucuses meet at the biannual meetings, and a few organize events, including repository tours, throughout the year. Find your caucus representative on the Steering Committee page, and contact them for more information or send an e-mail to your caucus listserv.
Share Your Knowledge, News, and Accomplishments