Apply today for MARAC Wilmington Scholarships!
The deadline to apply is Friday, September 7.
MARAC offers the following meeting scholarships:
· Marsha Trimble Meeting and Travel Award ($400)
· Joan Echtencamp Klein Meeting and Travel Award ($250)
· Karen A. Stuart Local History Collection Workshop & Conference Attendance Award
Update: There will be a second $400 award available for Wilmington, bringing the total number of available awards for this fall conference to four.
Additional information about each award is included below.
APPLICATION: Applicants for either award should submit the following:
· Cover letter that includes:
· Award for which you are applying (name and amount)
· Statement of financial need
· Expected benefits of attending the conference (citing specific sessions or workshops of interest)
· Letter of reference from a person with knowledge of the applicant’s work (sent directly to the MARAC Scholarship Committee Chair, Emily Cottle, via email at MARAC.Scholarship@gmail.com)
DEADLINE: Wilmington meeting, Friday, September 7, 2018.
TO APPLY: Send a single PDF of the cover letter and resume to Emily Cottle, MARAC Scholarship Committee Chair, at MARAC.Scholarship@gmail.com. Letter of recommendation should be sent by the reference as a PDF directly to Emily Cottle, MARAC Scholarship Committee Chair, at MARAC.Scholarship@gmail.com.
Please include MARAC Scholarship Application in the subject line. All
applicants will receive an email confirming their application has been received.
Information about awards:
MARAC Meeting & Travel Awards
The Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC) offers travel awards of $400 (Marsha Trimble Meeting and Travel Award) and $250 (Joan Echtencamp Klein Meeting and Travel Award) for attendance at its conferences held twice a year around the region.Scholarship funds may be used for conference registration, workshops, lodging, conference meals, and other travel expenses. Persons meeting the criteria outlined below are encouraged to apply.
QUALIFICATIONS: For this award, an individual must currently:
· Be employed in the MARAC region in an archival or archives-related position,
· Be enrolled as a graduate student in a program that includes courses in archival administration
· Be a MARAC member in good standing
Karen A. Stuart Local History Collection Workshop & Conference Attendance Award
The Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives Conference (MARAC) offers awards for one full or half-day workshop, and conference registration, including the Friday Luncheon and Saturday Breakfast. Please note this award does not cover any travel expenses, but only the registration costs outlined above. Named in memory of Karen A. Stuart, a Library of Congress archivist who had been head librarian at the Maryland Historical Society, this award is expressly aimed at those associated with Local History Collections. Active with MARAC on the Publications Committee and also as Maryland Caucus Chair, Karen maintained a life-long interest in local history and genealogy, respecting and encouraging the scholarly practice of each. In her career, she assisted thousands of researchers investigating Maryland local history, and through her guidance she also impacted the careers of local history practitioners throughout the state. Karen loved local history so it is fitting that this award bears her name as MARAC supports the professional growth of others dedicated to the field.
QUALIFICATIONS: Individuals must currently be associated with a local history collection that is open to the public on a regular basis in the MARAC region. Volunteers as well as paid staff are eligible. Priority is given to local history collections located in the meeting’s host city for the purpose of networking opportunities, but will not exclude other applicants.